This was my second NaKniSweMo entry last year. (NaKniSweMo stands for National-Knit-a-Sweater-in-a-Month). Only adult sweaters are allowed, but you must be able to guarantee a stitch count of 50.000 or above for your FO to actually qualify. Seeing as I wasn’t entering the competition to win any prizes, only for the fun of it, it didn’t matter to me whether or not the sweater actually had the correct stitch count, but I did become curious, so I did tally about the stitch count.
I had 11 days in which to knit a sweater, as I’d spent the first 19 days of the month completing a cardigan, which I’ll post about some time in the future, I still need to get some decent photos of it. So of course I went for a fingering weight yarn, which of course takes longer to knit than a heavier weight yarn. I had 3 balls of Ovelha Negra Ofélia in the 158 Oatmeal colourway and another one in the 427 Orchid colourway (see pictures above) which I’d initially bought to pair with some Holstgarn Supersoft 100% Uld yarn in a variety of colours to make a colourwork infinity cowl, but instead I decided to knit a sweater with it. The Ovelha Negra Ofélia is a 100% wool yarn that might be considered “scratchy” by some people with a more sensitive skin, but I actually quite like it, and I do wear it next to skin and have no issues with it.
The colours of the Holstgarn Supersoft 100% Uld yarn I was planning on using in the cowl were the following:
Oxford, Glacier, Cloudberry, Aquamarine, Damask, Calypso, Sweet Pea, Sage Blue
Seeing as I had all these colours, I decided I should have a go at the Dessine-Moi Un Mouton pattern by La Maison Rililie, but after taking a better look at the picture on Ravelry, I decided against using this pattern because I wasn’t too keen on the neckline, but I did still very much like the idea of all the striping and of the broken seed stitch pattern used. So I needed to start looking for another sweater I could easily modify to add the striping and the stitch pattern of my choice, and then I remembered the Flax Light pattern by Tin Can Knits which came out as a free pattern (and continues to be free) during their Advent in 2015. This happened to be a sweater I’d been meaning to knit as well, so what better way than to combine the two.
(pictures above were taken from the respective pattern pages on Ravelry and do not belong to me)
First thing I had to do was create a gauge swatch as I knew I wanted to use size 4mm needles. Once my gauge swatch was dry, I could set about deciding which size I was going to be knitting, which ended up being the 39” M/L size one according to my gauge swatch. Next on the list of things to do before casting-on was decide the colour sequence, which took some doing and I ended up with two I really liked, but I ended up deciding on using the Oxford for the all the cuffs, the Oatmeal was obviously always going to be the main body colour and then the rest I divided into their respective colour schemes the Purples/Pinks on one side and the Blues/Greens on the other side and then sorted them from the darkest to the lightest colour as best I could. What I did then was start with the darkest to lightest colours from the Purples/Pink group and alternate them with the lightest to darkest colours form the Blues/Greens group ending up with the following sequence: Orchid, Glacier, Cloudberry, Aquamarine, Damask, Calypso, Sweet Pea, Sage Blue. (in the picture below, it’s reversed)
One last thing to do before casting on was figure out how many rows of each colour to knit and how to space them. Was I going to do them all the same width or different widths as in the original Dessine-Moi Un Mouton. I decided on the same width throughout but I didn’t want the stripes to be too wide, so I decided on the number of rows and went from there. Towards the end of the sleeves and the body, I would need to figure out how to reverse the colours so that I wouldn’t have just a plain white section. So on the body I opted for 2 rows per colour, and on the sleeves I did things differently to get the correct length.
Surprisingly enough this was a really fast sweater to knit, despite using fingering weight yarn. The whole thing only took 9 days from cast-on to bind-off. I am super pleased with the end result, and I’ve worn this sweater several times already, and it’s not even been blocked yet. But as I mentioned earlier on in this post, I quite like the rustic feel of the wool next to my skin. I will eventually block it, but maybe only during the summer, when I won’t actually wear it due to the heat.
22.5 stitches by 31 rows = 10cm / 4 inches in stockinette
Ovelha Negra Ofélia – 158 Oatmeal = 136g = 2.72 skeins = 776m / 848.6yds
Ovelha Negra Ofélia – 427 Orchid = 7g = 0.14 skeins = 40.2m / 44yds
Holst Garn Supersoft 100% Uld – Oxford = 20g = 0.40 skeins = 114.8m / 125.6yds
Holst Garn Supersoft 100% Uld – Glacier = 5g = 0.10 skeins = 28.7m / 31.4yds
Holst Garn Supersoft 100% Uld – Cloudberry = 8g = 0.16 skeins = 45.9m / 50.2yds
Holst Garn Supersoft 100% Uld – Aquamarine = 6g = 0.12 skeins = 34.5m / 37.7 yds
Holst Garn Supersoft 100% Uld – Damask = 7g = 0.14 skeins = 40.2m / 44yds
Holst Garn Supersoft 100% Uld – Calypso = 7g = 0.14 skeins = 40.2m / 44yds
Holst Garn Supersoft 100% Uld – Sweet Pea = 8g = 0.16 skeins = 45.9m / 50.2yds
Holst Garn Supersoft 100% Uld – Sage Blue = 9g = 0.18 skeins = 51.7m / 56.5 yds
4mm Addi Click Interchangeables
This sweater consists of 73717 stitches